Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Young, precious, and in danger

Tammy and I have been watching a captivating series on WE TV called High School Confidential (see the promo above). The show is a series of documentaries that follows 14 girls through high school in Kansas, and I have to say it’s a roller-coaster ride of emotions as you watch these girls face everything from academic pressures to the struggles to fit in.

One thing stands out in the first few episodes that we’ve watched: strong family ties are crucial in helping kids keep it together during these turbulent times.

And these high-school years are turbulent, in case you’ve forgotten. I had. But my eyes have readjusted a little since I’ve been driving a school bus part-time. Whoa! Let me tell you what, it’s an entirely different world out there in the adolescent jungle!

I was talking with one Jr. High girl as we were approaching her stop. She’s a pretty, blonde 14-year old, and she was telling me that she was going to be home by herself until about 9 o’clock that night. She said that this was normal because of her parents’ work/school schedule. Her story made me think of that radio PSA where Denzel Washington promotes the Boys & Girls Clubs of America. He starts off by saying:

“What is the most important time in a child’s life?. . . the answer…between 3 and 6 p.m. when they are out of school. This is the time when youths are less supervised, more likely to get in trouble, or are faced with negative influences or dangerous situations.”

Make the sacrifices to be with your kids; take the steps to open up the lines of communication.

Your thoughts?

No comments: