Thursday, February 25, 2010

Skeptic Month

For the month of March, I'll be taking on the mindset of the skeptic, consider this a lame attempt at reverse psychology.

Lately I’ve been considering some of the strongest and most legitimate criticisms of Christianity and the Bible. I believe that truth has nothing to fear and will overcome any serious test. The only thing that can give truth a run for its money is a really good deception . . . and even that will fall eventually.

I think something like this must have been on John Stott's mind when he wrote the following:


The hallmark of an authentic evangelicalism is not the uncritical repetition of old traditions, but the willingness to submit every tradition, however ancient, to fresh Biblical scrutiny and, if necessary, reform.


My intention this month is to not answer the criticisms, but to simply present them. I’ve tried to weed through the easily dismissed objections and pull out the heavy-hitters, so be warned – these are some of the most challenging objections I’ve found. Many of these claims I'd never heard before, and some I'd casually dismissed as the reckless musings of the damned (sorry for that last comment, but hey, I was raised Southern Baptist - it's in my blood!), but now that I'm no longer dependent upon the church's teat for my sustenance, I feel free to examine these things honestly.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Now this is going to be fun!

I'm glad you're not trying to give a prescriptive "solution" to each objection. I think that each skeptic needs a personal response - just as any person does. Whichever objection they use does not necessarily tell you the largest need of their heart, nor the one thing that will cause their logic to change. I look forward to these posts!

K. Keith said...

Kristin, I knew you'd be ready for this! I'm really looking forward to your responses to some of the things I'll be bringing up . . .