Thursday, December 31, 2009

Tyranny of the Tithe: Pro Tithing Quotes

As many of you know, I’m not a tithing advocate. I’ve written about the topic many times over the past year, explaining ad nauseum the Scriptural problems with the teaching. However, I do like to pay attention to the various pro-tithing voices out there (and they are losing ground, by the way).

I ran across the following quotes that typify the pro-tithing mindset. I grew up in a tithe-teaching church, and have spent all of my adult life ministering in pro-tithing churches, and I’ve heard this type of talk many, many times. Even taught it myself a time or two:


"Tithing is an important test of our personal righteousness."

"By this principle it shall be known who is for the Kingdom of God and who is against it... By it shall be known whether we are faithful or unfaithful"


Who said these things? Joseph Smith, founder of the Mormon Church.

1 comment:

Russell Earl Kelly said...

Thanks for standingd up for the truth. Please email me and I will place your church on my grace giving list.